Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Call to Prayer

As many of you know, ministry is very much a part of my life. Through By Design, God has opened up some really neat doors for me to walk through. He has given me opportunities that I probably would not have had if not for my ministry with By Design. Each one of us in the group has felt a special calling about hands-on ministry work - not just standing from a distance, but getting our hands and feet dirty in the process. God has blessed us with some incredible working relationships that allow just that. One of them is with StreetWise Ministries.

Earlier this year, Pat and Terry Powell of StreetWise put out a cry for help to many of their contacts asking for sponsorship for a Women's Retreat that they are hosting for some of the ladies that are actively involved with the weekly Bible Study. By Design answered the call and has sponsored five ladies to be able to go on the retreat. I wanted to post a little bit about each of these ladies so that many more prayers could be lifted up for them. Please pray for each one of these ladies by name. Pray that God would touch them in such a way this weekend that they will know Him like they never have before. Each one of them faces huge obstacles on a daily basis many of which I would not wish on my worst enemies. Pray for God's anointing of the conference leaders. Pray that Satan has no authority over anyone or anything there at the conference. Pray a hedge of protection and safety for everyone involved.

Here are the names of the ladies and a little background for each of them.
  • Helena Marshall - young mother and prostitute. She has made a commitment to get "clean". She is new to the Bible Study.
  • Sandra Dye - Dying of AIDS. She is a Christian and has been committed to the Bible Study for some time. Her son was shot and killed last year. She is very sad and lonely right now.
  • Sharon Montgomery - new to the Bible Study. She is probably not saved, but we don't know for sure, yet.
  • Jessica Clemmons - mother of 6 kids. She is new to the Bible Study. Her mother brought her. She wasn't able to find childcare to come on the retreat, but her mom committed to stay behind and keep her children so that she could come.
  • Keianda Holmes - not sure about her. She could possibly be trouble for the weekend.

5 comments:

Carol said...

I have prayed over each of these women by name. I will continue to do so. Thanks for sharing.

ocean mommy said...

Okay, I'm printing this out to pray for these ladies. Especially that last one. When I read that name, well, I can't explain what I felt because it sounds strange. Anyway, I will be praying that God will settle on each on heart and mind and that these women will learn something new about our God.

Cheri said...

I wanted you to know that I just prayed for them all by name. I prayed for their safety and that God would speak through the leaders. I asked God to whisper in their ear how much He loves them.I know He will!! How exciting it must be to have helped all these women!

Hugs, Cheri

Amy Wyatt said...

What an opportunity God has given you. I will pray for each of these women.

Cheri said...

I'm still praying for all these women!