Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Waiting Room

The Waiting Room..... That phrase brings all types of emotions to all types of people. There are waiting rooms at the doctor and dentist offices. There are waiting rooms at the hospital. There are waiting rooms in corporate offices. All of them designed just for WAITING. Waiting for an appointment, waiting to hear news regarding a loved one in surgery, waiting to hear that newborn baby cry.....

Sometimes the waiting can be long and hard. Sometimes the waiting can be with much anticipation, and sometimes the waiting can be with great pain. Are you in a waiting room today? I am. I have been here for quite awhile, now. And, I have experienced all of the emotions that come with the waiting - impatience, anticipation, pain, anger, sorrow, anxiety. I will admit that it is not fun; in fact, most of the time it is very discouraging. But, in the midst of all of those emotions, my Father gently reminds me that He knows my name. His ways are not mine. And, if I just wait on Him, I will be able to soar again.

I am reminded of the story of the refiner's fire. He puts his precious metals over the flame and leaves them there to get very hot so that the impurities will rise to the top and be scraped off. He lets it cool just a bit and then will usually put it right back onto the fire to continue the purification process. The refiner does this over and over again until he is satified that the metal is pure enough. There are times in our lives when we are allowed to walk down paths or wait in one position while the Refiner shapes and molds us underneath that fire to be more like Him. So, if you are waiting today, know that I am waiting, too. Waiting for God to shape and mold me into Him image. Waiting for Him to show me His best for me.

Psalm 27:14 (New International Version)
14 Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.

3 comments:

Cheri said...

I am most definitely waiting with you, my friend. It is NO fun, but thanks for reminding me it is only to become more like Him.

The Stokes Family said...

Oh, Deanna, I know exactly what you mean. I have been in the 'waiting room' at so many points in my life, including recently; they are always the most difficult, but I always seem to come out feeling much closer to God. We are praying for your job situation--hang in there!

Blessings,
Amanda

Carol said...

Waiting is tough!!! But God uses that time to prepare us for what is coming. I pray daily for Him to show you which way your path will go.