Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Believing God

Okay, girls, now I have known for years that Beth Moore is one of the very best Bible teachers for women out there today, but I have put off diving head first into one of her studies for many different reasons (excuses). I don't like to start something if I know that I probably won't be able to finish it; so, I have put it off and put it off and put if off. Well, due to several circumstances in my life as of late, I decided that it was TIME no matter what constraints were in my life right now.

I went to the local Christian bookstore and bought two studies. The lady behind the counter looked at both of them, looked back at me and promptly asked, "are you going to be doing both of these at once?" The puzzled look said it all for me. I quickly replied that I was having a hard time trying to decide which one to start first. I mean, I'm not superwoman.

God placed it on my heart to start working on "Believing God". Oh my heavens!!!!!! I am only in the second week, but God is already transforming my thinking about things in my everyday life. I find myself referring back to the daily work time and time again. God is GOOD, girls! God is GOOD!! Basically, what He is teaching me right now is this..... I don't have what I could have (speaking not necessarily about material things) right now because my faith has not consistently been that active faith. You know the kind the Bible described the disciples as having. The kind that can move the mountains. But, He is also telling me to consistently tell him that I believe Him again and again and again. Confess when I have doubts about that belief, and ask for strength to get through to the other side. Can I just tell you that I have been in my shower these past few weeks (that's when my best praying comes) crying before the Lord affirming that I do BELIEVE HIM even though I don't know how He is going to work out the circumstances. I do BELIEVE HIM just because He is God. I do BELIEVE HIM because He is able to do what He says He can do. And, those have been some of the sweetest times. It never ceases to amaze me of the magnitude and depth of His love and compassion. His patience is long suffering. His mercy is beyond my human comprehension.

Beth gave us a Statement of Faith that the Lord gave her in preparation for this study. This is what it says:

  • God is who He says that He is
  • God is able to do what He says He can do
  • I am who God says that I am
  • I can do all things through Christ
  • God's word is alive and active in my life

There certainly is power in the spoken word. When the enemy comes against you on a daily basis, and you know that he does, hold up your outstretched hand, say "you have no authority here" and quote this Statement of Faith. It is our Shield. Then he has no answer but to flee.

8 comments:

Amy Wyatt said...

I loved this study. I took it several years ago and I still do the hand thing with the five statements. "I'm Believing God!"

Anonymous said...

That was really awesome. I love her statements of faith.

Cheri said...

Funny, I just got off the phone with my sister-in-law who is reading one of Beth Moore's studies. She asked me if I had ever done it. I said no, I haven't done any of her bible studies though I've heard time and time again how great they are. I have read a lot of her books and I love all of those. I'm beginning to think i'm supposed to do one of her Bible studies...it keeps coming up day after day. This sounds like a good one to start with!

God is most definetly ALIVE!!

ocean mommy said...

I took that several years ago and I still find myself saying the five statements! It will stick with you and transform your thinking!

I love all of her stuff, but this study is one that I dearly love.

If you can, find the videos to watch with it...they are awesome...

(Her blog is pretty awesome too)

Carol said...

wow! No you've got me wanting to read it. I'm going to have to look into that one!

Anonymous said...

I love Beth Moore's Studies...My Bible study at church has gone through several...the last one we did was Beloved Disciple...which spoke deep to my heart...We did that particular study within a month of choosing my blog name :o)

Andrea @ Mommy Snacks.net said...

I haven't done this particular study but I've done a couple others - she is an amazing teacher! You will definitely get soooo much out of her study! Lots of work but well worth it!!

Christina said...

Sounds like an awesome study. I am going to have to go purchase one of these. I just hope I can decide. Like you I will probably want more than 1.