Monday, October 29, 2007

Daddy's Off Playing....What Are We To Do?????

Okay, ladies. I am a single parent this week as my hubby is off playing in Illinois with six other men on a hunting trip. Can I just tell you that it is different than I thought that it would be. I thought that it would be like any other week with him working late to get jobs finished so that he could provide for our family....but no! Here is the reason why....... My husband typically works many hours away from the house each day so my kids are used to him getting home late or sometimes not at all before they have to go to bed. They are used to being just with mom most of the time. But, they have had a difficult time knowing that Daddy is not coming home at the end of the day. It's only Monday, and we have five more days to go. As for me........ I was really looking forward to relaxing abit, catching up on some reading, scrapbooking, watching what I want to watch on TV without the channel surfing king sitting there with me. Somehow, though, it's not as nice as I thought it might be. There is a level of security that Michael brings to the house that is just not here this week. We typically don't set our security system every night - although if someone broken into the house I would hear them WAY before Michael ever did. Without him here, I am setting it every night. My comfort level is not there. Somehow I miss the channel surfing disagreements that usually occur. Getting the kids to bed is not as easy because Daddy isn't there to say prayers with them. I guess what I am trying to drive to is this.......it sometimes takes looking at your life from a few steps away from the normal to realize how blessed you really are. So many times I take my life for granted. I get aggravated and bogged down with the daily grind - the kids, the hubby, carpooling, working from home, the phone ringing off the hook with sales calls,etc. and I forget to give thanks for what God has given me no matter how frustrating my life can be at times.


So, today when you can breathe for a moment, take time to thank our Heavenly Father for EVERY aspect of your life and what He has given you - warts and all. Tomorrow you might not have it all.

3 comments:

The Stokes Family said...

Oh, Deanna, what a great reminder. . . even as I sit here STEWING at the news that Ethan acted-up on the bus coming home from school. As disappointed as I can be with my children sometimes, and as frustrating as husbands can be some days, lol--I am SO THANKFUL for them. Thank you Lord, for my beautiful family!

Blessings,
Amanda

ocean mommy said...

I have so been there! When Chad's gone, I sleep with a an old baseball bat. He jokes about it, but without that bat, I don't sleep!

Praying for you this week.

steph.

Carol said...

What a great post. I SO love my husband, too. Thank God for giving them to us. We are so different, yet those differences help us to fit together. I love it! :)